This is my Pa’s recipe for ANZAC Biscuits. I don’t associate him with baking, he was more keen on being in his shed to be honest but whatever task he assigned himself tended to be executed with precision. These biscuits are no exception and I love how dark in colour they go in the oven.
110 g rolled oats
55 g desiccated coconut
150 g brown sugar
100 g plain flour
125 g unsalted butter
30 ml golden syrup
30 ml boiling water
1.5 tsp bi-carb soda
1. Pre-heat oven to 160C and line two baking trays.
2. In a mixing bowl combine the oats, coconut, brown sugar and flour.
3. In a small saucepan melt the butter and golden syrup.
4. In a cup dissolve the bi-carb soda with the boiling water and then pour this mixture into the melted butter mix.
5. Add the bi-carb and butter mixture into the dry ingredients and stir everything to combine.
6. Place 6 rounds on both tray and give them a little squash with your palm.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before placing them on a wire to cool completely.