There is something so comforting about this soup that whenever it’s a little drizzly outside I instantly seek it out.
Serves 4 as an entree or lunch with crusty bread
2 tbls olive oil
30 g butter
1 leek, white part only, sliced thinly
900 g kabocha (Jap) pumpkin, skin removed and chopped into medium chunks
1 ltr chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1. In a large saucepan heat the oil and butter and then add the leek. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the pumpkin and cook for another 5 minutes or until it starts to soften on the edges.
3. Add the stock and bay leaf and simmer for about 25 minutes.
4. Remove the bay leaf and using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
5. Season with a really good pinch of salt and cracked pepper.